Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's OK

I was inspired to start this blog after I had a realization. A few months ago, I was talking with another mommy friend of mine. We were discussing the difficulties we had getting our children to go to bed. And she says, "I keep thinking, 'You need a spanking, kiddo!'" I have to be honest, I was shocked to hear that come from her. She is a wonderful, loving mommy and I thought I was the only mom who felt or thought that way. It suddenly hit me......

I AM NOT ALONE.

This may seem strange to come to this realization when I did, but it was liberating. I felt like I had someone in my camp. See, I have a type A personality and it is very hard for me to accept that I am not the perfect mama (hence the name of this blog). I remember being in the hospital, holding my oldest son and promising him I would never make him cry. Fast forward 3 and half years and it's safe to say I have broken that promise dozens of times over. And you know what? It's ok.

No matter what I do with my kids, there is someone out there that will not agree. And that's ok.

No matter what YOU do with your kids, there is someone out there that will not agree. And that's ok.

I read an article recently about ending mommy wars. It talked about mommies that have different opinions about how to raise kids and how we sometimes get feisty about what we believe in. And I think we all do. But every kid is different and every mama is different and guess what? That's ok.

So here's my first confession. We just moved from Missouri to Texas and my boys have adjusted pretty well. But recently, my oldest has started fighting us at bedtime. He just would NOT stay in his room and my husband and I were spending the better part of 90 minutes to get him to bed. And then my mom texted me to say, "Maybe he needs some extra cuddles." So for the last week or so, I have been lying with him until he falls asleep. The same thing happens at naptime with my younger son. He just will not stop doing flips off of his bed.

Do I worry about creating a bad habit? Of course. Do I worry that I am setting them up to never be able to sleep without me with them? Of course. Is that ridiculous? Of course. They are not going to call me in 20 years to ask me to tuck them into bed. But as I watched my oldest fall asleep tonight, I can't help but feel like it's the right thing to do for them right now.

Some of you will disagree with me and you know what? It's ok.

1 comment:

  1. having raised boys, i also had a problem sleeper. he most enjoyed having his daddy lie down, read him a story and then talk to him until he fell asleep. lots of my relatives disapproved, but, he grew out of it and it was a little sad when he did, but, he's fine now. only one problem, he's a night person like his mom LOL. you do what you feel is right, it usually is.

    ReplyDelete