Sunday, December 15, 2013

The "Truth" About Santa Claus

I have been seeing things on Facebook during this holiday season that are starting to get on my nerves.  The biggest one is that some parents are putting down other parents for "lying" to their children.  About what, you ask?  SANTA CLAUS.  Are you kidding me?  I take offense to this because my boys do believe in Santa Claus and as far as I'm concerned, I will do whatever it takes to let them believe as long I can.

I believed in Santa growing up.  I have some amazing and fantastic memories of things Santa did.  And none of those memories, NONE OF THEM, ever changed even when I stopped believing in Santa Claus as a single person.  As an adult, I do still believe in Santa, but in a different way.  Those people who go around paying lay-aways that are about to be cancelled?  That's Santa.  The people who put thousands of dollars or rare coins in the Salvation Army pots?  That's Santa.  All of the people who donated money and toys to non-profits?  That's Santa.  Santa DOES exists, if you choose to believe in him.

The people who say I am lying to my children, in my opinion, are wrong.  When they are old enough to start asking questions, I will tell them that Santa is not the person they thought he was.  But I will also show them how to be Santa for others.  I seriously doubt there are children out there who are permanently scarred for life because they found out the truth about Santa Claus.  And if there are, there is probably more to the story.

Will I "lie" to my children about the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and Fred (our Elf on the Shelf)?  Absolutely.  Because childhood is a magical time and place; it only happens once.  I feel like it is my job as a parent to make it as special and as magical as possible.  It will grow their minds and their imaginations.  It will teach them how to dream and how to have fun.  Will they be disappointed when they no longer believe with that childlike faith?  I'm sure they will.  But they will ALWAYS have the memories I helped create for them.  Nothing can take that away from them.

The people who say I am teaching my children to be dishonest, in my opinion, are again wrong.  Santa taught me how to give without expecting anything in return.  Think about it: Santa flies all over the world to give gifts to good children.  What does he ask for in return?  NOTHING.  Sure, he gets cookies and milk, but not every family can do that.  Does he punish families that don't leave him food?  Of course not.  He gives out of the goodness of his heart, because he loves you.  Is that a bad thing to teach my children?  I don't think so.  I would hope they learn to be generous to people who are less fortunate.  My boys won't remember the Christmas that we only had toys because they were donated to us.  I was laid off of work while pregnant and all our savings was spent on survival.  People I don't know, I will never know, made donations to local organizations to help families like us.  If I can teach my boys to do the same once they are old enough, then sure, I will "lie" about Santa Claus.

Just to be clear, I am not condemning any parent for his or her choices.  Every parent is free to teach their children what they want.  Just don't tell me I am damaging MY children for allowing them to believe in Santa Claus.  And deep down, don't we all want to believe?

1 comment: